Considering that the United States government is considering going “on strike,” it was only appropriate that my recent trip to Washington, DC, was filled with ominous storm clouds and rain pretty much the whole time I was there visiting my friends.
The clouds lifted, however, for one brief two hour period when my good college buddy Brent and I descended on the National Mall for a two hour power-walk from the United States Capitol Building to the Washington Monument and back.
Major League Baseball Opening Day at Nationals Park
The clouds were also in full-force on March 31, 2011, when I attended the opening day game of baseball’s Washington Nationals. Despite being a sold out game, I would say that Nationals Park was at most half full and the crowd quickly lost interest when the Atlanta Braves took a first inning lead. The Nationals would never recover.
I’ve Wanted to Take This Photo for 16 Years
Well, maybe not from this exact spot, but for whatever reason, the 1994 movie TimeCop put the idea in my head to photograph a city street leading up to the Capitol dome. But despite living in DC for seven years, I never managed to do it.
So, when I saw the brightly-lit and stormy skies above the Capitol while driving on highway 295 en-route to Virginia, I got off at the next exit. Having packed only my camera, I had to improvise once I found my spot. A beat-up traffic cone doubled as a tripod and the 10-second timer solved the problem of the cone wobbling when I pressed the shutter. Now I finally have my photo.
Tweeting the Washington Nationals Opening Day Game
As all of my college friends from American University were working during the 1:10pm game, I bought myself a ticket and went alone. To entertain myself while not taking photographs, I tweeted random musings from the game.
- Half the people throwing out the first pitch could not make it to home plate.
- I love running into New York Mets fans at other stadiums.
- Why is Chipper “Larry” Jones still playing baseball. Isn’t he 90?
- Nothing like taking east coast baseball to kill time on a 2 inning sausage line.
- Top of the sixth and I just finally made it to my seats.
- View from my seats…amazing! Oh, what $55 gets you on Stubhub for a bad team.
- Gotta love opening day! Even if it is cold and rainy.
- 3G? 4G? More like 0g with all these smart phones at the stadium.
- Misting is better than raining. Let’s hope it stays this way. Good seats = no cover.
- I’ve never seen a more empty sold out game.
- It’s great to get a free scorecard when I enter Nationals stadium, but where is my free mini pencil to write with?
- Okay, now it’s raining and cold, I’m at the game alone, its the bottom of the 8th, the Washington Nationals suck and are losing. Time to leave? Perhaps.
- Left in the top of the ninth. That’s enough of that. Time to get to my car and blast the heat.